Live Total Wellness

Monday, June 18, 2007

A Change of Scenery

Aside from the occasional out-of-town trip or jaunt to the store for much needed groceries, I spend most of my time working in my home office (thankfully). It's a steady work environment for me. As I search for inspiration I have some constant distractions such as the window I stare out at, the dog that constantly wants to play, the laundry, the cleaning, cooking. - you get the idea, almost every day. Funny that I am constantly looking for new ways to advertise and meet others who are interested in doing this very thing.

Despite the significant time I spend at my desk, some of my best ideas have come elsewhere. Sometimes it's something on a weekend that sparks the right brain cells. Sometimes it's while driving in the car (to get the much needed groceries!), maybe while lingering over my morning latte, or while actually cleaning (yes I do that occasionally!). Too often, it's in the shower or during a workout, when nothing is readily available to jot down my idea.

So if some of my most productive, creative thinking comes away from my desk. So why not capture more of that time for myself?

How could you plan such "out of office" work time into your schedule, specifically to think about particular challenges you have in your work or personal life? How can you use this time to spark new creativity, and actually increase your productivity?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking about this time as less productive or valuable. If you need a chance of scenery to be creative, do it. Use your desk and computer for execution, not creation. With that thought, I'm going for a walk!

No comments:

Work At Home United