TEN RULES TO LIVE & LOVE BY
1. Seeing your partner through the lens of love rather than fear automatically elevates the relationship to a higher plane. When u can get quiet & note when u are projecting fear, u can make the adjustment to see through a different filter. So often we feel indignant or incensed, but upon closer inspection we will find that we are really afraid. Once we assume our partner's core goodness rather than focusing on their "guilt," they will be more free to show us their best, which accelerates the process of shifting our perspective from one of blame and anxiety to one of acceptance and peace.
2. Being willing to forgive yourself & your partner, & to make amends when necessary is an ongoing process of cleanup. We all make mistakes; it's human. But when we hold fast to a grudge it eats away at our sense of peace and serenity. If u aren't willing to forgive, u might ask yourself what habit of ego you're attached to. Do you want to continue life with unresolved issues hanging over u?
When we take a stand and refuse to let go of something, we can always find evidence to justify it. Or we can try to make peace. Instead of blaming or making excuses, we can clean things up and move forward. This is not an excuse for staying in a dysfunctional situation, but an opportunity to see innocence. Once we do that, we gain—or give—freedom to move out of a "stuck" place.
3. Relaxing when times get tough; assuming that "this too shall pass" allows u to roll with the punches. If u know things will inevitably arise to challenge u, u can be more detached when they do. Problems become worse when we dig in our heels & try to force a solution. By relaxing into whatever struggle arises, we remain flexible & open to inspiration & insight.
Even if u have a hard time letting go, u can at least observe yourself taking things very seriously, which in itself helps to detach u from the experience of anxiety. Whatever is happening now won't be happening a year from now, so just keep breathing through the situation & see if you can take things a little less seriously.
4. Seeing in the dynamic of the relationship the reflection of what you need to learn helps bring you back to what is important. Sometimes we get lost in the chatter of day-to-day patterns and lose sight of the soul's mandate to bring us closer to realizing our Oneness. The best way to see where we need to work on things is to observe who we are and what we do within the context of a relationship. Any time u recognize your impulse to create distance rather than intimacy, u can make the adjustment & get back on track.
This relationship, as with all relationships, is part of a curriculum to evolve into our highest potential. We come to know ourselves by how we interact with our partner, and by so doing we come to know Spirit.
5. When you don't know how to handle a problem, pray & meditate. This aligns your limited energy with that which is all-powerful. Of course we don’t have all the answers, but by consigning our limitations to our Higher Power, our burden is lifted. We need to be accountable for our words & actions & be willing to work through where we are stuck. We need to stay present & forgive. Beyond that, our creative power is fueled by Spirit. By praying, we ask for help and guidance; by meditating we clear our minds so that the answer will become apparent. By moving aside, we create an opening for God to work miracles in ways we could never imagine.
6. Honoring your partner's path & allow them the space to find their own way sends a clear message of respect. People need to work things out in their own manner & in their own time. If u try to help where help is not requested, u are signaling your lack of belief in your partner. If you back off and assume someone is strong & intelligent, strength & intelligence are what they will likely find.
Although we are all on this path of realization & expansion together, each of us is unique in our lessons to be learned; the way u do something might be totally different than how someone else needs to process a situation. Rest assured that Spirit is at work in all of our lives, & give yourself a rest from overseeing your partner's personal business.
7. Keeping up your personal growth work means u will keep your mind sharp & your awareness keen. Read, study, & attend lectures; don't rest on the laurels of what u think u already know. The moment we think we have it all figured out is the moment things will come crashing down around us.
Arrogance leaves no room for intimacy or growth, & is certainly not part of a spiritual curriculum. When u immerse yourself in learning, you will always have new skills and interests to apply to a relationship, & thus the relationship will always feel fresh and relevant.
8. Following the path of your own creativity keeps u attuned to that which moves & inspires u. As u indulge your creative side, u become less dependent on your partner to feel whole. Creative energy is the force that breaks new ground. To sustain love, we need to continually fuel whatever inspires us on the deepest level. Also, creativity balances out the egoic & intellectual side of life; it teaches us to play & have fun. When we engage our passions, we radiate passionate energy & thus maintain the interest of our partner as well as having your own sense of fulfillment.
9. Staying present keeps us in the moment which is where life is. Life does not exist in future predictions or past grievances; all we have for sure is right here and right now. Every moment teaches us something, and if we are busily trying to change or control something we miss the grace intended for us.
By allowing the sacred mystery to unfold without trying to tamper with it, we can move through anything with much more ease and simplicity. As we cease resisting, any so-called negative situation or emotion will have the space to work out. And by the same token, when we are completely alert and aware in any given moment, we are open to the subtle miracles happening all around us. By staying present, we will see our partner for who they are; we will hear clearly their communication and respond to it astutely.
10. Being grateful for what you have zeros in on what is working, which in turn magnetizes more of the same. Where u put your focus is where u direct your creative intention; so if u want abundance, be grateful for the vitality u have now. If u want a soulful relationship, be grateful for the soulful moments. Gratitude is like a seed u plant; it grows more as it is watered & nourished. Show your partner what u appreciate in them and let them know that they have a positive effect in your life. The acknowledgement of good will call forth more of the same.